Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm baaaaaaaaack!!!

I am finally able to post again. I have not been able to get online since last Wed. Ugh! I miss more modern technology.

So much to write about yet I don't know where to start. T.C. mentioned our outing this weekend to the castles. I will add that it was in the 90+ temp. and it was a WALKING tour! Ummm...we were all dying of heat. I have a hard time with long periods of time in the heat anyway..so needless to say I experienced heat exhaustion and was really sick when it was all said and done. I get major headaches in the heat and other things...which I will spare you details. Needless to say my prayer on the way back in the van was "oh God please don't let me get sick in the van...please"!!!!! :) I know we have mentioned the driving around here...so being sick with these drivers isn't a pleasant experience. Oh well, after about a 1/2 gallon of water and some Excedrin...I felt better after a couple of hours. I was glad that I made the trip when all was said and done. The castles were amazing, beautiful churches, wonderful scenery, etc.

Ruslan Clark's going away party was yesterday. It was crazy. The kids were so wound up. We brought them chocolates, juice, and cookies. (give them sugar and then let the caretakers suffer the consequences...) Today was day 11 for us after the court hearing. I will remove Ruslan from the orphanage in the morning. I am so excited about that. Ali and I have been in Ukraine for 3 weeks today. Just ask me how homesick I am! I have enjoyed Ukraine and all....but there is nothing like home. I miss so many things....especially my husband.

The party yesterday was such an amazing experience, despite the sugar levels. All of those children are so in need of human touch. They all want to be held, touched, loved on, etc. Mom sat on a couch and several children wanted their turn to sit on her lap. One little boy wanted to sit as close as he could to her...it was precious....but heart breaking at the same time. I want to take them all home. There are so many children at the orphanage that are so full of life, smiles, and love....but they don't have anyone to love them back...wow! To think about their futures is a sobering thought!

Please pray for our passport situation...well, not OUR passports, but Ruslan's passport. (and the other American family) See, recently the passports have changed and the new passports are taking longer to process. We were originally told we could wait an extra 10 days for his passport. Ummmm.....didn't make me happy! But our facilitators have worked SO hard for us and are trying to get that changed. In fact, in the morning one facilitator is waiting to hear if SOMEHOW we can get them in the same day. Please pray for that. If that could happen, we could drive to Kiev tomorrow or the next day to start our Embassy meetings to get the heck out here. That means we could possibly fly out this weekend...if we could find flights available. I will keep you guys posted....or T.C. will.

I will close for now. I need to go and pack our bags JUST IN CASE we leave for Kiev tomorrow. We get such short notice around here...better to be safe than sorry.

Anyway...again...tomorrow is freedom day for our son! YIPPY!

8 comments:

Kay said...

oh Lord, please let them rush on home!! i can't imagine handling a toddler who has a language barrier in a hotel room!! it's crazy with my kids who know EXACTLY what i am telling them NOT to do!! PRAISE GOD for your son and for getting to the next step in bringing him home!!! with so many kids there who appear healthy, why not let more families take them home??

Lori Rabb said...

Hi Rachel, Aunt Alice & Ali...So glad to see another posting from Ukraine :). Sorry to hear about your sickness while site seeing. That must have been awful and hearing that most places aren't air conditioned...oh my goodness to say the least!

The party sounded like alot of fun and I'm sure they got lots of hugs & kisses from you, Aunt Alice ;). I'm sure the kids will miss your visits when the time comes to take Russie home.

Free at last..free at last..God Almighty, Ruslin is free at last..LOL..sorry, but that just came to mind when reading that he will be leaving the orphanage tomorrow :D.

I prayed immediately as I read about the passport issue that things will go as speedy as humanly possible and you will be home in a few short days.

I hope little Russie has cheeks left to kiss on because I know Aunt Alice & her kisses & hugs ;). What a lucky little boy he is.

Take care all, be safe & much love,
Lori, Bryan, John & Christopher

Suzi said...

I'm with Kay - people around here just don't understand why they make it so hard to place those children into loving homes! Tomorrow will be soooo exciting for you all! Our prayers are certainly with you as you actually take that little child into your family. And also as you all make the trip home with that darling boy who won't understand why he has to get on a plane and make that l-o-n-g flight home. I'm sure Ali will be a HUGE help. Miss you all - Ali, you've probably grown a foot since we've seen you! Loved your dancing - maybe you can teach Russie and the rest of us a few moves

The Malone Family said...

I am so excitied that at least you will have Ruslan with you during this waiting period. As I am writing, I am praying that you received news and will be heading home this weekend. I sure wish they had would realize how much love these children could receive if their adoption laws were not so strict.

Anyway, it is great hearing from you and knowing that your long wait is just about over. Praise the Lord.

Ali, I watched your video last night, it gave me a great chuckle... you are too cute, and so grown up... I am so proud of all you are doing to help with your new brother. He couldn't ask for a better big sister.
Rachel take care and know that there are loads of prayers going up for you all..... I am looking forward to USA Emails from you. Take care. Love from your family here in Louisville.

Bill and Cheryl Flook said...

Hey Rach, What an experience to last a lifetime! We're praying for the passport situation. I know you're ready to get home. It's almost over and soon you will have your new son home. How wonderful is that!
Much Love, Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Rachel and Ali-
Sorry I have been MIA. I've been in the hospital several days, a not so interesting story for another day. I am so excited to power up the old laptop and read such exciting and wonderful things. I am so excited for you to be springing Ruslan Clark free. I will also pray specifically for the challenges of having him in the hotel environment with no one to translate. What a monumental leap of faith in so many ways you guys are taking!

I know you can't wait to get him HOME and get him used to Judd life.

Praying for those passports!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Rachel and Ali-
Sorry I have been MIA. I've been in the hospital several days, a not so interesting story for another day. I am so excited to power up the old laptop and read such exciting and wonderful things. I am so excited for you to be springing Ruslan Clark free. I will also pray specifically for the challenges of having him in the hotel environment with no one to translate. What a monumental leap of faith in so many ways you guys are taking!

I know you can't wait to get him HOME and get him used to Judd life.

Praying for those passports!
Suzanne

Becky, Calvin, & Amanda said...

Hey Ladies,
I was a little nervous when it had been awhile since we heard from you all. Glad that it was merely technical difficulties. I'm glad that you are getting to sightsee(even with extreme nausea!!) We are praying for the 4 of you to have a speedy return and leave traveling Europe for future vacationing. I'm praying that these next days go smoothly and QUICKLY so that you can get some rest in your own home and Russie can begin his new life that will be filled with love and devotion from such a wonderful family. While his situation seems sad we can now see that God's hand has been upon him protecting him until he could be rescued to a better life, one where he will know the name of the Lord! God is sooo good! We love you all!
Always,
Becky