Sunday, July 08, 2007

Last post from the States for a bit...

Here we go! The time has finally arrived to head off into the wild blue! Though it still seems an impossibly long way away (tomorrow afternoon), some things have hit home to me tonight as I've zipped up our bags for the final time before departing. After tomorrow morning:
  • When the wheels stop turning on our last flight (Tues afternoon)...we will be 5989 miles from where we started
  • The next time I lay down my head on a real pillow...will be in Kiev
  • The next edition of the morning paper...will be in a foreign language I cannot read
  • The next time we sit down for a real meal (airline food doesn't count!)...will be unfamiliar food
  • The next post made to our blog...will be from a Cyrillic keyboard (not sure how that will work!)
  • The next time we watch the sunset...will be over the Dnieper (Днiпро) river
  • The next time we walk in our front door...we will have left 1/4 of our family in Ukraine
Pretty amazing and sobering thoughts, eh? People keep telling us we should be more stressed out than we are, but I just smile politely at them, remember Luther and think, "My dear soul, journey on in joy!" Amen.

4 comments:

Kay said...

we are on pins and needles here in iowa , jsut waiting to see the first pictures of the new Judd member!! we will be praying for you all and i am nearly in tears for rachel to hold her new baby!!

The Malone Family said...

As I read your blog, and Kay's comment, my eyes swelled with tears. WOW! Holding your child in your arms for the first time. The nearly 2 years of labor pains you all have endured, and now God is giving you the greatest gift a family can receive. A New Life! I am so excited that words fail me. I know my excitement is only a fraction of what you all feel. Hang on, it is going to get even greater. Love and prayers to all.
Claudia, Dan and Craig

Suzi said...

You have probably just boarded the plane to experience the trip of a lifetime, and I have been hit with a similar anxiety that you are all feeling. Except rather than being the ones actually going on the trip, I am the mother at home worrying and praying for your safe travels and return and eagerly awaiting for news and pictures of our newest grandchild!! Godspeed!
Love, hugs, and kisses to you all.
Mom

April Scarlott-Barger said...

Welcome to the Ukraine! You will love it and the food is good. You will really love it after you get there! Kent and I sure did and you will have memories of it forever!
Please let us know what time your appt. is at the AC as soon as you know. You probably won't know until tomorrow.
God Bless and we are praying for you!
April Barger and family