Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chasing the sun...thoughts on travelling home

Well, I have made it home to TX, safe and sound, after a 100 mph cab ride across Ukraine, a jostling car tour through Kiev, two flights on Air France (the best airline food ever!), and a long night sleeping less than soundly in CDG airport in Paris on a huge couch with a bunch of other vagabonds. I've never spent any time in this house without the girls, but even with two completely neurotic cats here that won't let me out of there sight, it doesn't feel like home--three-fourths of my family is 6000 miles away!

Anyway, let me echo Rachel's humorous observations from Tuesday and make a few of my own titled, "Things I didn't miss while I was gone..."
  1. Houston's weather...I guess I forgot how humid it was here, ugh!
  2. American food...aside from the few moments we weren't sure what we were eating, the food in Ukraine is outstanding and inexpensive. Fast food? Didn't miss it.
  3. Coffee...the guidebooks are wrong, good coffee is not hard to find in Ukraine. Good espresso costs about $0.40, can be found everywhere, and (get this) comes in a real cup...you actually must slow down and enjoy your coffee. None of that nonsensical four dollar StarBUCK$ in a paper cup!
  4. Toilet paper...guidebooks were wrong here, the toilet paper in Ukraine is fine...if you can find it
  5. American drivers...sure they're better than most drivers elsewhere in the world, except Germany (no, really, we do drive pretty well here compared to other nations), where else can driving 100 mph on the highway, passing people on the sidewalk, and driving the wrong way down a one-way street be considered 'good driving'? How exciting! The taxis should charge more and call it a 'thrill ride.'
  6. Cable TV...who cares if I can't understand what's on? It mostly sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher here at home anyway!
As I was sitting in the airport this morning (Paris), I did think of one thing I missed about the States. You're going to think me a total redneck to saying this, but...uhm...I missed country music. Yep, it's official, I can write this and own it, right? I missed country music. Every nation I've ever visited recognizes good classical music, no problem. Every nation listens to U2, Avril Lavigne, and Maroon 5, for better or worse depending on your taste. Every nation has their own pop/club music, which really sounds all alike whether or not you understand the words. But nobody else, and I mean nobody, has country music.

One example will suffice, and then I must tend to these crazy cats...As soon as I got home I ran to Wal-Mart to get an international calling card (which has atrociously high rates, BTW, got a much better rate from the phone company). I started the car and dialed up the country station I listen to most just in time to hear, "She thinks my tractor's sexy, it really turns her on..." Ahhhh, home, sweet, home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi T.C.

We are so thankful that you made it home safely. I know you miss your family. We are so excited that you now have a son. He sounds awesome and is adorable.

Hang in there. We are praying that they are home in just a few short days.

Love
Pamela

Lori Rabb said...

Hi T.C...your blog entry today is just hilarious to say the least..glad you made it back home safe, sound & with that excellent country music to boot :)
Lori, Bryan, John & Christopher

The Malone Family said...

Hi T.C.
We too are thankful you arrived home safely. We are praying for a quick family reunion... Craig will be glad to know that you missed Country Music LOL Of all the things to miss.... too funny.
Take care and know that lots of prayers are going up for you, Rachel, Ali and Clark.

Kay said...

have fun with the crazy cats!! the rest of your family will soon be bussling around the house and making tons of noise!! ooooraah on the country music, boo on the starbucks thing!!! actually, ben says his international latte's have been outstanding, maybe i will get it someday, who knows!! welcome back to the states, take it easy for as long as you can!

April Scarlott-Barger said...

Hello from Louisville!
Yes the women do like their skirts very short in Ukraine! They also like to wear the Italian leather VERY high-heeled pointed shoes! You wonder what their feet are going to look like one day? YIKES! Yes their public display of affection is very PUBLIC! They drink all day, and sell their empty bottles on the street! It is so funny to see a dressed man in a suit carrying a beer in the MORNING going to work! Hmmmm?
I think they have an alcohol problem worse than us!
We had a few times at the "babyhouse" with Hayley where she acted up and we wanted to correct her a few times, but we just didn't......hang in there....it is mostly the language barrier we found out. Call us if you need us when you get home! :o)
We are praying that you will be home soon and that all will be taken care of soon in Kiev!
Today Hayley and I were watching a show how to make Ukrainian eggs and it was so neat! I would love to learn how to do it! I remember my 7th grade teacher showing us a demonstration, my how the Lord works and that I would remember that! Also, remember studying the Ukrainians/Russians in the 7th grade along with the Cossacks. THEN.....I was on the island in Sept. 2004 where the Cossacks lived! How wild was that? God is so good, he is so wonderful, and how HE was preparing for OUR adoption for so many years! :o)
You will find out so many little things after you start thinking about the process and see how it all worked out!
God is sooooooooooooo GOOD!

Love you all!
The Bargers! Kent, April, Hayley, and "Johann" (woof!)

April Scarlott-Barger said...

Also the women of Ukraine will save for months to buy those Italian shoes (that they love so dear!), and they will even starve to get them!
This was told to us by our facilitator, Sveta in Ukraine!

April

Daniel & Kathy said...

Hi Rachel & Ali,

Sorry, I just got caught up with your updates. I visited relatives in Baton Rouge with the girls for 4 days.

Wow, I remember when Daniel & I traced Max, Anna & Anastasia's feet for snow boots. Remember the incident about the tennis shoes.

I'm glad T.C. made it home safe. I took all of the mail over to him last night (and I thought we got alot of mail) Ha. Ha.

Talk to you soon.

Kathy

Becky, Calvin, & Amanda said...

Hey Guy,
We're happy to hear that you are safely stateside once again. I do find it amusing to learn that you missed country music while you were away. I can just see you trying to explain to "Mr. X" exactly why a tractor is sexy!! Definately a cultural difference. Hope that Rachel's Mom made it without too much personal trauma and that the ladies are all fine. We'll sure be glad when all Judds are present on home soil and accounted for. You all remain in our thoughts and prayers. Miss ya lots!
Love,
Becky

Sarah said...

Don't break my heart...my achy breaky heart....
Really...everyone else has said it all. Glad you're back!
Talk with ya soon!