Though we're only in mid-afternoon here in UA and have one more visit to the orphanage this evening, today has already been an emotional roller coaster. We headed out this morning and visited Ruslan Clark before lunch...it it a beautiful day here (low 70's and sunny) and we were able to play outside the whole time. We heard him say his first understandable words to us today--sabaka, which is Russian for dog. He pointed out a stray dog to us as we were walking around the grounds. We had heard about lots of strays and that sometimes the kids were scared of them, but Ruslan Clark wasn't afraid at a distance and loves the little stuffed animal puppy we gave him.
As we've played with him outside the past two days, we've discovered that he is 110% boy. He is fascinated with toy cars and bugs...to the point of loving to squash bugs with the cars and then put them into the cars to drive them around. Too funny! He's also quite a climber and matched Ali rung for rung on a jungle gym to the point that he was quickly out of reach. I had to scramble up after him and haul him down...truly a comedy to watch, I'm sure.
Our two hours together were quite a bit of fun, and he continues to warm up to us. He loves to play with Ali and have her read to him, of course. Rachel asked him if he'd come to 'mama' (Russian isn't all that hard) and he came to her with arms out to be picked up. I kissed him on the cheek a few times, which made him laugh...clearly the kids aren't cuddled and kissed...and when I asked him for a kiss, he put his cheek onto mine.
The most bittersweet moment came when we walked him upstairs to his area for lunch. He was all smiles until we handed him to the caregiver at which point he began sobbing hysterically and threw his toys onto the ground! No doubt he could be heard everywhere in the building! But as we walked off (Rachel in tears too), one of the other orphan boys jumped up from his lunch (stripped to his underwear so as to not get food on his clothes), ran over to his toys, picked them up, walked them over and handed them to Ruslan to help calm him down. Wow...they're all pretty wonderful kids...
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
What a cutie! I feel like we missed the "Welcome Wagon" yesterday bc were are out of town...Anyway, we couldn't be more excited about all of this! He is SO CUTE! When we told Jackson he has a new cousin (Ali's brother) he was very happy. Looks like you all are doing well and make a perfect family.
Brad also pointed out the timing on all of this. If you do the math (which you may have already), Ruslan Clark was dropped off at the orphanage at almost the exact same time you started all of this. Wow! You've all been waiting for each other this entire time! A miracle indeed.
I think we all probably cried when we read this. I sure did. Cant wait for you all to be back home from making your dream a reality! Sounds like he was worth the wait! Cant wait to meet him. xoxo, susie
tissue anyone?
Praise the Lord, for HE is so good! Oh, how I get chill bumps! It reminds me of seeing Hayley for the first time in the "babyhouse"!
Ruslan is just precious! He looks so healthy and be sure that the facilitators find out everything about him. The first day was so wonderful, he was just waiting for his Mama, Papa, and sister! I have got tears in my eyes!
I can't wait to meet him and you all when you all come back to Indiana/Ky to visit! He can meet another Ukrainian "sister" in the Lord! :o)
Well, he definitely has the Russian side to him with the blonde hair! Hayley has the Ukrainian side to her, because of the dark brown hair.
Now you all are seeing the whole picture I am sure and matching all the dates and everything. God is so great and awesome, and HE just has everything worked out for us, we just can't see the whole picture, until it is worked out. Our timing isn't always what HE wants for us, and it is so hard sometimes, but isn't the reward GRAND!
Give Clark Ruslan a great big HUG and KISS from us! I remember when we tried kissing Hayley at first and she would pull away from us and laugh! It was so funny! Now she can't get enough kisses!
We love reading your posts, it reminds of when we were over there! It makes "ME" want to be a MAMA, again!
Love and HUGS! Congrats on your new son!
The Barger Family!
We're so happy for you! We can't wait to meet Ruslan Clark. We saw the pics - he's so precious. Can't wait to see you upon your return...Jay, Paula, and Abby
He is soo cute. He looks like he could be Jackson's first cousin! Susie
What a wonderful weekend you all have had God is so good and His timing is remarkable. I hadn't done the math until reading Sarah's comment. Wow, gives me goosebumps. I too can't wait to see you all and meet you new son. We continue to pray for a speedy adoption, and travel mercy. Take care.
Awww..I needed a tissue also. What a truely beautiful child he is and I know you are all happy. I can see it in the pictures. God has truly blessed you all with a beautiful child to become part of our family :-). Be safe and lots of love to you all as you embark on the rest of your adoption journey.
Lori, Bryan, John & Christopher
Hey, guys! Check out a picture of all the cousins!!
http://funnythingsr.wordpress.com/
Dear Rachel,
Hi! Congratulations on your son. Ruslan is so cute. Sorry, I was unable to talk to you before you left. Everything went well in Guatemala. We have Dora Michelle home. She is doing well. I am very happy everything is going well for you guys in Ukraine. Natalie says Hi to Ali.
Sincerely, Nancy
Sorry to be so late in this post. We have been running all day. We shed a few tears when he cried. BTW Every one at church saw a photo, whether they wanted to or not!!!!! Every one thought he is a "doll" (Nona words). We can't wait to see & HUG Ruslan Clark. We love you Mom & Dad (AKA Nona & Poppy) XXXXXXXX for Ali!
rachel, you have me in tears too (stupid post partum hormones!). but this is such a blessing for the bond to be forming within your family!! you will have so much fun with your boy!! ali can teach him to throw a ball and ride bikes and everything!! (hey ali pali, how goes it!! i knew you would just ROCK as a big sis!! saw you in action for years!!!) i am so happy and excited for you guys!! come on home so we can all see you!!
TC, thank you soooooo much for sharing all of this (and thanks to Aunt Susie for sending the link to me!). Beyond having an adorable smile, Ruslan Clark has such amazing depth to his eyes - I really look forward to meeting him someday! Much love, Laurie
Post a Comment