Friday, July 20, 2007

We're parents...again!

Court is over, the dust has settled, and now it's official! We're parents again!! "Liberation Day" is what we joked about calling today, when our little orphan 'inmates' (as they are referred to on official documentation) were officially adopted. Though there was no drama compared to our appointment last week, the backdrop for today's scene felt like a movie set...but an out of place one indeed...

It seemed unlike anything one would find in the former Soviet Union and more like the backdrop for a Hemmingway novel, a Bogart movie, or a Buffett song. The dark stairs led past the small guard's desk and cramped first floor to a second story with twelve or thirteen-food high whitewashed ceilings with crumbling plaster walls painted in faded flamingo pink. The worn terra cotta tiled floors had bright blue steps and similar, cracking rod iron staircase and handrails, both very ornate. All the lights were off (of course) and the husting crowds of people moved quickly and quietly down the hallways, dressed in their finest clothes and smelling of cigarettes. The whole scene was surreal and notably out of place in this quiet, western Ukrainian town. For a moment, it was as if we were transported from here to Old Havana...it was strange.

Don and Jackie (the other family here) were called in first. While they were meeting the judge, we rehearsed the answers to the questions we had been given ahead of time. "Not to worry, " our facilitator repeated in her thick Russian accent, "I am speaking to the judge and will tell her what needs to be said." No problems, we thought, we'll go over these questions and be done easily...like everything else here in Ukraine, however, things turned out fine but nothing like what we expected!

Don and Jackie were done quickly (15 min), and we were shuffled in quickly after them amidst congratulations and handshakes in the hallway--no doubt out of place here in this courthouse! We entered the room and were seated across from the judge, some witnesses (like jury duty), the orphanage director, and a worker from the state department. All of this took place in the judge's office, where she freely took phone calls from time to time, even in the middle of our proceedings!

From the very beginning, it was like a game of Twenty Questions, but without any of the questions we had anticipated. "What do you do for a living?" "Why do you want to adopt from here?" "How many rooms are in your home?" "Who lives in your home with you?" "How does your daughter feel about adoption?" And so on, and so on...

We patiently answered the judge's questions, then listened to the testimony of the orphanage director and state department worker. The director talked of our interactions with Ruslan during our daily visits and how it was her opinion that he bonded with us and felt very comfortable with us. She recommended that we be allowed to adopt per our petition to the court. The state department worker, though we had never met, also concurred with the director's recommendations and said that, based on her review of our dossier, it was in the child's best interest to be adopted by us.

The saddest part of the morning was hearing the judge question the orphange director about Ruslan's brothers (3). When asked about the other children and the parents, the director stated several times that none of the family had ever come to visit or inquire about Ruslan. Not after dropping him off at two months old...not after being contacted by the state to terminate her parental rights...not after learning that he was adopt-able by other families...not ever. It was heart-breaking to hear that none of this family had ever come by to see him--even after only one week we can clearly see that he is a wonderful boy!

With that, the judge asked us to stand and then read her proclamation that Thomas and Rachel Judd were now the parents of Samuel Ruslan Clark Judd and all documents were to be updated accordingly. Even the crusty old Ukrainian man on jury duty against his will cracked a smile...

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Yipee!!! Congrats!!! I have another nephew!! :)
I'm so happy that all of this has worked out according to plan. Now get that boy home as soon as you can!
I thought of you last night...11 am your time. I woke up at 4am and thought, 'yikes, they're in court!' Shew!
You've waited for this for a long, long time...Finally a family of four! Again, congrats, kisses, and hugs!
Aunt Sarah, Uncle Brad, Jackson, & Sawyer

The Malone Family said...

Congrats! We are all so excited for you all! Have totally enjoyed sharing this experience with you.....Looking forward to your arrival back to USA
Love, Claudia, Dan &
Craig

Suzi said...

Congratulations! I didn't sleep well last night, and, like Sarah, thought about you all night and wondered what was going on. Where are they now? What are they doing? Is everything going well? Is Ruslan theirs yet? How exciting to wake up and find the answers!! We have another beautiful grandchild! We are so happy for you all - this long-awaited time will soon be a reality! Love to you all, and lots of hugs and kisses, too! xoxoxoxo Mimi, Mom, Suzi

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! God is so good. We can't wait to see all of you.

Love, Pamela, Greg and Boys

Unknown said...

Blessings to all, especially that lucky little 'Clark".
Virginia Mimi

Anonymous said...

Hi again, We have been sending comments since last Saturday. But evidently I am brain dead since I've been doing nothing for so many weeks. Anyway, I just checked and found that our comments weren't listed. So I followed directions.

I'm sorry you haven't gotten our comments. We have been so excited. We have been crying with you as well.

Ali, Micah has sent many comments, such as he misses you and he is excited about your new brother.

Take care. Hope to see you soon.

Pamela, Greg and Boys

Lori Rabb said...

Hi y'all..I am soooo glad everything worked out according to plan. I had tears in my eyes as I read of final adoption hearing. This is SUCH great news. Now I can't wait to meet my new cousin. I know Dad will be proud to share his name with this cute little boy :). I can't wait until he hears the news...what a wonderful blessing. Congratulations to y'all. Hurry home to the States so we can finally meet him and share in your happiness as he discovers soo many wonderful things here. Love you all & take care
Lori, Bryan, John & Christopher

Anonymous said...

It's a BOY!!!!! Congrats. Rach, don't forget TC owes you a swingset. Clark will need one once you get back to the states!! We are so excited for you all. Can't wait to meet the newest memeber of the Judd Clan!!!

Bill and Cheryl Flook said...

That is SO WONDERFUL! We are SO happy for you!!!
MUCH Love,
Cheryl and Bill

April Scarlott-Barger said...

God is so good, God is so good, God is so good, HE IS SO GOOD TO US!
Congrats Mama, Papa, and Sister!
I am so HAPPY or We are so happy for you all. I feel like I have gained a nephew, also!
I have prayed and prayed that everything would go smoothly for you all, and of course, with the LORD on your side, it just seems to always go that way!
We LOVE to read T.C.'s postings! They are wonderful and they bring back so many memories of the Ukraine, and you describe everything in such detail! Such at the smell of cigarettes, and the faded flamigo pink paint, and the rod iron staircases. I think all of the orphanages are the same and all of the buildings are pretty much the same in the Ukraine! Everyone describes them the same!
But, you know we have missed something that some people have gotten to experience.......the train rides! But, I think that I would just as soon do without those! :o) Hot, smelly, and memories of WWII.
I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone and WWII when we were traveling to Hayley's "babyhouse", because we were in a BIG storm and it was awful! You know those wonderful "paved" roads in Ukraine??? Well, we were passing these BIG WWII trucks that were going about 80 miles an hour and we were going about the same, and it was pouring buckets of rain, and our windshild wipers could hardly keep the rain off the window. This was also at about 3:00 am in the morning! Then everytime a truck would go by, a whirlwind of air and water would practically throw us off the so-called road that we were on. It was so scarey, and I just kept praying and praying that we would at least see our daughter that we wanted to adopt!
Well, I am not going to rattle on and on about our adoption, because I don't want to take up so much space, but it makes me so happy for you all.
Most of all........this precious little one will live in the USA, and he will have a future with a loving Christian family and he will know JESUS! PRAISE THE LORD!

We can't wait to see you all and compare all the stories, like talking with the judge and etc.... funny, huh?

At least your time went fast, only 7 days! We met Hayley on a Friday and we didn't go to court a week from the following Tuesday, so 11 days.

Let us know if there is anything that we can help you all with, even though we are in L-ville!

We miss the Ukraine so much.

Take care!
April and Family!

p.s. I still haven't heard from my friend in Ukraine.......her computer must not be working.......that happens a lot in Ukraine!

Kay said...

congratulations!! you now are the proud parents of a very active and intelligent 3 year old boy!! i can't wait to hear about his antics and am really looking forward to meeting him and seeing ali again (hey ali pali)!!! ali, especially congrats to you on getting a brother!! now you can co-miserate with him about your parents and make joint decisions about which nursing home to toss your parents into (haha, J/K). siblings are great and annoying all at the same time, just you wait!! love to all, and God Bless!! kay

JW Hellums said...

Hi, so we are grandparents again....my fav thing in this world. I can't get enough of looking at the two kids together. We have cried a few tears this week but the ones today were tears of joy.....a new Judd!! Dad can't wait to see Ruslan Clark and I can't wait to get him on my lap for some snuggles. I still like to rock Ali. She has given us so much joy. Love and Kisses,Dad and Mom

Live the Life you Love, Love the Life you Live said...

I cried tears of JOY as I read your blog today. Our ongoing prayers have been answered in the blessings of your adoption of little Ruslan. "We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him." Romans 8:28
Our prayer chain continues to pray God's grace and mercy be onto you and your new family as you travel abroad. We love you guys!
The Noffze Family (Michael, Michelle, Brandon & Tyler)
Rochester, MN

Becky, Calvin, & Amanda said...

HALLELUJAH!!!! It's so much fun when we get to see how God answers our prayers!! We're thrilled for the FOUR(!) of you and look forward to meeting the newest Judd and will love him as we do all of you. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel! Roger and I have been in Jamaica so I am just now getting to visit your blog and view the pictures. Ruslan is PRECIOUS! I am so happy to hear that things are working out for you. It sounds like y'all are having quite the adventure. I love the photo of all the orphans sitting around eating in their undies. Pitiful, but so cute. Congratulations!!
Melissa