Clark did just fine during his surgery yesterday. The hospital is a trauma center, so we knew there was a possibility that his surgery time could be bumped. Well, it was! We arrived at 6am and he wasn't taken back to surgery until 10am. It was a rather long morning in a small hospital room...with a toddler. We were so glad there was a t.v. in the room so that he could watch cartoons. He did such a good job being a brave boy. When it was finally his turn, they gave him some medicine to relax him mixed with some Tylenol. So after he took that, we were able to walk him down to the holding area and we met the nurses and doctors that would be working with him. The medicine had kicked in at that point and even the medical staff was cracking up watching him. One doc said "I looked like that on my 21st birthday." He was just laughing, jabbering, and rolling around. I was laughing so hard I had tears rolling down my face. I caught a little of it on video...which I am sharing...shame on me...I know!! But, the laughing ended and reality hit...our sweet boy was undergoing surgery. He tolerated the anesthesia well, which was my main concern. He awoke slowly while I was with him in the recovery room. They like for children to wake up on their own as they tend to wake up more happy that way. It was sad, he would wake up for a minute...cry...and drift back off. After several episodes like that...the nurse gave him some morphine for pain. That knocked him out yet again...and we had to wait for him to wake up enough to drink some juice and potty. He did so, and we were able to leave the hospital a little after 2pm. However, the ride home ended up being more than his tummy could handle with the anesthesia. I won't go into detail...but after returning home his WHOLE car seat had to be taken apart and scrubbed...as did the van seat. Poor little fellow. He ended up eating some in the late afternoon and even played with his train set. I asked him when we got home..."do you want to go lie down"...his response "no, Thomas!" Well, ok then! However, the hospital pain meds wore off in the early evening and our little man was miserable! He was in so much pain last night before bed. The Tylenol with codeine helps take the edge off some...but he is definitely fighting getting his ointment applied. He is pretty happy today...already fighting with Ali...so definitely on the mend. Ha! He is still VERY sore and in quite a bit of pain. I hope this intense pain doesn't last long...we hate seeing him like this.
Well, that is about it for now. I am off to get him some chicken nuggets...his all time favorite food!
![]() |
| lookin' cute and hospital.. |

1 comment:
i remember the night after danny's surgery! all night scream fest, i just can't imagine feeling that sort of pain!! keep the blog coming, it is so much fun to read!!
Post a Comment