Saturday, August 11, 2007

The gang is in Kyiv...with passport in hand!

A bit of good news to pass on to everyone...Rachel, Ali, and SRCJ headed to Kyiv yesterday (Friday) in a caravan of taxis with the two other American families in town. They all arrived safely after a multitude of extra stops between Khmelnyts'kyy and Kyiv due to one of the young ones fighting a rough bout of carsickness and getting sick over and over and over...yuck! Fortunately, Rachel said that Clark had a blast in the car and was no problem at all, which is a tremendous blessing considering the marathon airline flights that await them!

But in Kyiv the plot thickens...(stage direction: ominous music begins playing softly)

So everybody heads to Kyiv without passports for any of the children...just more promises that the passports could be picked up in town. No sooner did they arrive than they found out that the passports were on their way to Khmelnyts'kyy and probably passed them on the highway going the other direction!!! (stage direction: ominous music reaches a crescendo) But never one to be troubled by logistical problems, the mysterious Mr. X. hires a courier to chase them down and return them to Kyiv, where they arrived this evening, Saturday (stage direction: angels begin singing Hallelujah chorus).

Now, parents, children, and passports are all safety together in Kyiv, where our gang will head to the U.S. embassy on Monday to begin their final paperwork and visa applications. I almost hate to say anything yet, but it looks like everyone will finally get to head back to the States by mid-week. Rachel and Ali are still having the time of their lives but are also ready to be home after so long apart. Clark is probably totally confused and wondering why he gets to talk to Papa everyday on the phone but hasn't seen him in two weeks. Between my Air Force training this year and our adoption trip, we've all spent more time apart than we ever did on active duty--so much for stability, ha!

Anyway, in honor of the safe return to Kyiv, here are some pictures we took way back in mid-July when we first got to town. These are from our day-long walking tour of the center part of the city of Kyiv and reflect, in part, what a wonderful city it is. Enjoy...
Kyiv Photos

4 comments:

Becky, Calvin, & Amanda said...

!!HALLELUJAH!!!-finally, I too can sing like an angel:) That is totally fabulous and we are incredibly thrilled for the 4 of you!! I have lots more superlatives but I'll save some for later. Kudos to Mr. X-in the final act he really is the hero. We will continue to pray that this last leg of your adventure goes smoothly. I wish that we could see the homecoming, because I bet Rachel kisses the ground when she lands in Houston. Congrats on this wonderful news.
Much Love,
Becky

The Malone Family said...

I am so exchited, when we had prayer for you guys in church this morning i had goose bumps... This has been the longest labor pain i have seen. I know Rachel will be glad when it is all over. Looking forward to the message that says, "Your Family Is In The USA!" As I know you will be too. We will continue to pray.
Love to all,
Claudia

Lisa & David Allen said...

Wow, this has been an amazing story! I know you can't wait until everyone is home, safe and sound. Keep us posted, we live to read the next entry!

God Bless,
Lisa & David

Lisa & David Allen said...

Wow, this has been an amazing journey and an amazing story! I know you will be glad when all of your family unite and everyone is safe and sound. Keep us posted, we all live for the new entries!

Love,
Lisa & David