Sunday, August 05, 2007

What is love?

As I sat and watched my daughter and son playing today....I contemplated this thought. As a 30 something adult...I, of course, know the answer to that question. However, watching my 3 year old play I realized he does not. He has never known love...never felt love...he has just survived. Ali, on the other hand, came into the world knowing love...from the moment she entered the world she felt our love. She has always known that Mom and Dad pick her up when she falls, kisses her boo boos, wipes her tears, gives her more hugs and kisses than she knows what to do with, and will ALWAYS love her no matter what. So my question is this...how do you teach a child what love is all about? He will have to learn all that Ali has learned from birth....only he is starting 3 1/2 years late. But he WILL learn! He will learn that Moma and Papa will always love him, always take care of him, always wipe away his tears....and just as we would do for Ali...we would do all in our power to protect him...even giving our own lives for his. That is what our little man will have to discover about love. Not only that...he will have to learn that God loves him even more than we are capable of loving him. He will have to learn to trust in God whom he has more than likely never heard spoken of before. God has truly entrusted us with such a gift as our son! We are blessed beyond measure....more than words could express here. The wait was all worth it. When I lean down to kiss Ruslan (Clark) and see him light up... I know it was all worth it. God planned his birth before the creation of the world knowing full well that he would be our son...and we would be his proud parents. All I can say is that I am humbled.

Please continue to pray for us as we await to see if Ruslan's passport is ready tomorrow. I want it in my hands!!!! We are packed up and ready to head to Kiev.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel and Ali,

I pray you get the passport tomorrow. We can't wait for you to get home. I wish we were closer. We are praying for you. Tell Ali we are proud of her. When you describe her with the kids, I see the picture of Jesus with all the children around him. Ali is a great young lady. Give her a hug for us. (Ruslan too - even though he doesn't know us yet). Hang in there Rachel. The wait is almost over.

I'm sorry I haven't been sending comments lately. I'm getting better oh so slowly and sitting is a major problem. So I haven't been able to come downstairs and use the computer.

Take care
Love Pamela

The Malone Family said...

Hi Rachel and Ali,
I too am praying that you will have the passport in you hands today. I am also humbled by your latest blog. We take so much for granted, even learning to love. I know just by watching how you love Ali that you won't have any trouble loving and teaching Ruslan. Ali as his big sister will be a great help in teaching him. Love is such a small work with such great out come.
I anxiously await for your first blog from Texas.
Take care and know lots of prayers are going up for you all.
Love Claudia

Becky, Calvin, & Amanda said...

Hey Girls,
It's great to think that in just a few more days you both will be back on American soil, and Russie will begin to experience so many new and wonderful things. I fully believe that while it will be challenging I don't think that it will be overly difficult. I think that the ocean of love and attention that the 3 of you will shower upon this child will compensate for any language and cultural differences you may fear. The great thing is that all children are so adaptable and I think that little Russie will catch on very quickly because he so wants to please his new family. We are looking so forward to meeting him and seeing you all again. We will be praying fervently for the passport to arrive. Take care, because we love you so.
Always,
Becky

Pam said...

Rachel, I am usually reading your blogs on the run, but when I read "What is love," I just had to write and tell you how it touched me. We have had our entire church praying for your specific requests throughout this whole journey, and we certainly will add the passports to the list. I just wanted you to know how happy we are for all of you. Reading your post have truly blessed me!
Praying you home! Pam

Bill and Cheryl Flook said...

Rachel Girl,
I can't tell you enough how beautiful that was!
Cheryl