There isn't much news around here. The insurance adjuster came on Sunday, but it might be a while before we actually see any money. The wait is the aggravating part. We aren't even sure how much they are going to give us for everything. We do know they are going to cover a new roof, and probably pay for new carpet in the rooms affected (which leaves the other rooms with carpet that is 6 years old...can't exactly do that), a small portion for our fence (they depreciate the value for the age of the fence and because we share it with 3 neighbors...well, we won't get much at all for that, etc. It is all such a pain. T.C. contacted a man that we met through the summer swim team that owns his own home construction business. He has connections...so he is going to share a good roofer with us and also a guy that does small inside construction jobs to put new sheet rock on one of Ali's walls. Hopefully he can nail down the carpeting that we ripped up. We are thankful all of the carpeting dried without much of a stain. There is a big spot in the living room, but we are going to rent a carpet shampooer and see if we can clean them up. If we can't, we will then try getting it professionally cleaned. We are really trying not to have to recarpet the house right now. Not an expense that we are prepared for.
I am drained these days...just going to be brutally honest here. Clark is testing my patience...and my patience is gone out of the window. Unfortunately!! He is our major whiny pants. We didn't really have that with Ali, so I am at a loss. They have totally different personalities. We believe in first time obedience with our children...not 4th or 5th time obedience. Clark...oh Clark would rather do it until he knows you are coming after him. That drives me absolutely crazy. I am really trying to focus on that right now...it isn't going very well. There are lots of time-outs, crying episodes, drama, spankings, and on and on and on. I haven't found that perfect solution, though I know there really is no such thing....just a good solution would suffice! Being a parent is the toughest job out there. Just when you begin to think you have it figured out, the kids go and throw you a curve ball. I have read it all Shepherding a Child's Heart, Growing Kids God's Way, and the one I am reading now is Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel. It has great tools to use...trying to incorporate a chart where he gets smiley faces if he does certain things and sad faces for unacceptable behavior. Can't tell you if it's working yet, will let you know.
What books/Bible studies are you reading/doing right now? In my Mom 2 Mom Bible study we are reading A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. We are reading the book and doing the study guide that goes along with it. It is a fabulous book. I read it several years ago and was thrilled to take the study and read the book again. It addresses so many areas in a woman's life...being a Godly wife, mother, and mainly just a woman that follows God with all that she is. We are also taking a study during the Sunday School hour using the book Parenting in the Pew. I also read this book several years ago, and was so excited that our pastor's wife was going to be teaching through the book. It is fabulous for those out there that struggle with teaching your children how to truly learn to worship...not just sitting still in church...but truly teaching them what it means to worship God. It talks about how as parents we are concerned with what those around us are thinking about our kids and how they "act" during church. It focuses on how we need to think less about those around us and focus on our heart during worship, so that our children see and learn through us. WOW!! It gives ways to help guide our children through the worship service...reminding them of things throughout the week that could somehow relate to the message, etc. It is a great read!
Here are a few pictures from the last week or so.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
yes, boys can be very challenging. and it's always the second or third child that pushes more buttons, and you get to realize just how spoiled you were with one.
it's totally easier said than done, but keep your chin up, look at ali and remember that you do know how to do this right. persevere every moment of every day, and you are never alone in this battle. i wish i was much closer than i am. i would steal you away for a panera date for venting!!! you know i am not a huggy person, so "knuckles" at you from north carolina!!
sigh. I wish that I had the energy for an inspiring response. But, alas, my Caleb has had me in tears more times than I can count this week.
oddly enough, I take comfort in hearing from other moms, that this is indeed normal. Otherwise, I would suspect that my child has been programmed by aliens to specifically send me to the looney bin.
sigh. again.
Darlene
Post a Comment